This scan is available to women from 45 years of age.
The purpose is to examine three areas of the body to assess parts of the vascular system.
These examinations include:
1. an abdominal aorta scan
2. a carotid scan
3. a scan for peripheral arterial disease (PAD)
1. Abdominal Aorta scan
This scan will take a detailed look at:
- iliac arteries
- should an aneurysm be identified, both kidneys and renal arteries will also be evaluated
- assessing for any aortic narrowing from calcification, plaque or thrombus build up (clotted blood)
Common examples for having this ultrasound screening are:
- detection of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)
- monitoring aortic dilation
- assessing aortic narrowing by calcification, plague or thrombus buildup
2. Carotid Artery scan
This scan will take a detailed look at the size, condition and blood flow, including Doppler, through the following arteries in the neck:
- carotid arteries from their origin to when they bifurcate (divide in two to feed different areas of the head/brain)
- internal and external carotid arteries (bifurcation areas)
- vertebral arteries
Common example for having this ultrasound screening is the detection or exclusion of:
- plaque build up and subsequent narrowing of the carotid arteries
3. Peripheral Arterial scan
We will perform a detailed scan including Doppler ultrasound to measure blood pressure in the:
- brachial arteries in both arms
- tibial arteries in both legs
Common example for having this ultrasound screening is to determine:
- ankle brachial index (ABI) and early signs of peripheral arterial disease (PAD) which can result in claudication
We will provide a Sonographer report at the time of the scan with a Medical Follow Up Recommendation if necessary.
Using the latest cloud technology, Ultrasound Direct can send your scan images and report to you in seconds using Ultrasound Direct toMOBILE. This secure online service is available with every scan performed in an Ultrasound Direct clinic at no extra cost.
Please contact us
if you would like to know more about our health scans.
Ultrasound Direct is offering COVID-19 Antibody Tests at clinics across the UK and Northern Ireland to help you establish whether you have had and recovered from COVID-19.
Find out more and book your COVID-19 Antibody Test today:
Book a COVID-19 Antibody Test for women
Book a COVID-19 Antibody Test for men
You will need to expose the upper & lower part of abdomen, your neck, upper arms and ankles. A loose fitting top is recommended.
8 hours of fasting required. No breakfast if morning appointment / no lunch for afternoon appointment. Clear fluids including black tea or coffee are allowed.
For diabetics maintain food intake but avoid fatty or dairy products.
All of our first line ultrasound scans are optional. You must be at least 16 years old and you should have no existing medical condition or treatment pending that relates to the scan you are booking. If you are in any doubt about having any type of scan, you should consult your GP.
Frequently Asked Question
Are your sonographers qualified?
Yes. All our sonographers are fully trained and qualified to perform ultrasound scans and many of them also work in the NHS locally. Scans with Ultrasound Direct will always be performed by a qualified professional whose primary interest is your health. All our sonographers take care to follow the latest safety guidelines and are registered with the HCPC. We’re also registered with the independent regulator the Care Quality Commission to ensure the highest standards possible.
What if I get bad news during my scan?
In the event of unexpected findings: we will offer clear advice on the next steps available to you and will offer to contact the local hospital on your behalf.
Should you receive bad news in your scan you are welcome to take time in private in our clinics to process the news and gather your thoughts before leaving: we never want you to feel rushed.